Thursday, December 30, 2010

mac haul & updated palette

I had a Macy's gift card to spend from Christmas, so i thought i'd pop by the MAC counter to buy myself a few things!  I ended up getting three eyeshadows, to fill up my palette.  I was quite unsure as to what i should get exactly, so i referenced the "starting a MAC palette" post i did when i first got the empty palette, as well as a few Youtube gurus & i decided on these three!

L-R: Shroom, All That Glitters, Twinks
Shroom (satin finish): I figured i'd get at least one highlight shade (not the most exciting of purchases, but necessary in my opinion!), so i landed on this one.  It's not stark white, which is good - it's more of an off-white with zero sparkle, but gives a nice sheen.  I'm curious as to whether or not people use this all over the lid with something like Satin Taupe in the crease, instead of a stark white like Blanc Type.  I'll have to try it & see how it looks!
All That Glitters (veluxe pearl finish): This shadow was by far the most recommended, i'm not sure if it's because Elle (AllThatGlitters21) made it extremely well-known within the beauty community, or because it's actually a nice shade & product.  All That Glitters is a champagne color, with a kind of pink/peach reflex.  I was afraid that this would be very similar to Urban Decay's eyeshadow in Sin (which i love), but it seems a bit darker and not as frosty.  We'll see how it goes!
Twinks (veluxe pearl finish): This one isn't quite as popular as Shroom or All That Glitters, but it's still one of the more well-known shades from MAC.  I needed an outer corner/crease color, so instead of going for something like Woodwinked (i'm not a big fan of gold-browns & i think it would be too orange-y on my skintone), i chose Twinks.  Twinks is a deep brown, with plum undertones.  It's super pretty, my only concern is that it would be very dark against my super fair skin & blue eyes.  I did hear it's very easy to blend & it's kind of forgiving, so yeah.  I do have high hopes for this one, again - we'll see how it goes :)

I then spent this afternoon depotting the three eyeshadows i got so i could put them in my palette - as shown above haha.  If you're wondering how to depot your MAC shadows, here's a video tutorial - that's where i learned how to depot mine :).

Here's my MAC palette so far:
L-R: Shroom, All That Glitters, Sable, Satin Taupe, Twinks
I'm think of also getting a quad palette (holds four eyeshadows instead of this one that holds fifteen), so when i travel i can just tote that in my bag, instead of taking up some much needed space with this palette!  Both the quad and the fifteen palettes are available at MAC stores & online - not counters unfortunately - if you're wondering :)

I'm always looking for recommendations to build this palette up - what eyeshadows do you like pairing with any of the five shadows i have? ♥
PS. Thanks for the super lovely comments on my last post, you ladies are amazing :)

17 comments:

  1. Twinks is gorgeous! I'm adding that to my wishlist!! :)
    My favourites are Patina, Embark, Shale, Woodwinked, Naked Lunch, Folie and Grain.
    haha I love my neutrals!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. great haul and yes getting a quad is a good idea , i recently went to france and it was a nightmare to take some of my eyeshadows with me :/ xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh you lucky thing, i want to start building a MAC palette, maybe i'l use some xmas money on a palette! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore All That Glitters, and not because of YT, but really because it is a gorgeous colour.
    But, hope you don't mind me asking, why didn't you just buy the refills? That would've saved you the trouble of depotting them, plus they are a bit cheaper as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Natalie - Thanks for the recommendations lovely! xo

    @Maphi - Ooh, alright - i'll definitely get one! :) xo

    @Hannah - Doooo ittttt :D xo

    @Perfectly Unordinary - I would buy the refills but for me, they're only available online since they're not sold at counters. And with the depots, you can use the pots for Back to MAC to get a free lipstick xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. all that glitters was my first eyeshadow! shroom, shortly after... i've found I like dazzlelight better.

    www.kaitlynmanees.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh i think you chose the perfect eyeshadows laura! they're lovely neutral shades so they'll go with nearly everything! i got a sephora gift card for xmas, i got diorshow mascara!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the colors you chose, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful colours hun, I've just bought my first 15 pan holder too and can't wait to fill it! I most of the colours you have. Happy New Year x

    ReplyDelete
  10. waauuuw this looks great!! I wish I had all this stuff haha :p Nice blog!

    Happy New Year!

    xxxx

    lifeisroyalty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. All that glitters and Satin taupe are my favourites, although I only have five so it's not like I have many to choose from! Haha. I like Sketch a lot, too!
    Happy new year! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love brown eyeshadows. They look great on almost everyone! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Kaitlyn - Can't wait to use them :) xo

    @Kinsey Michaels - Yay for neutrals! Thanks :) xo

    @Auby - Thanks! Thought they were pretty as well :) xo

    @Stacey - Yeah, these ones are so popular - happy palette filling! :) xo

    @Emilie - Aw, haha. Well it's what i choose to spend my money on! xo

    @Leesha - It's okay, i only have five too! Haha, Satin Taupe is gorgeous - can't wait to try All That Glitters. Thanks for the recc! You too :) xo

    @Rachel - I know, neutrals are the way forward! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought you can buy the palette re fills on their own? Lovely colours! I really want to start a Mac Palette, but the shadows are so darn expensive :/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Twinks is a pretty color :) All your eyeshadows are very pretty, neutral and wearable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tolle Kombination. Meine Lieblinge sind, Wedge in der Lidfalte, Woodwinked auf dem gesamten Lid,Espresso im Augenwinkel, vanilla. Diese Kombinationsanregung hab ich von Mamaco ein wunderschöner Alltags Look.

    ReplyDelete